Firstly, you have to know that Google Voice (GV) is a google product that gives free U.S phone numbers which you can use to make and receive free calls to US numbers and also receive calls from anywhere in the world for free. It also supports sending and reviving SMS forwarded to your gmail account.
However, GV has no restrictions for those in the U.S and Canada, but there is a workaround to it as Non-U.S resident can also make use of GV.
The 2 key requirements for a Non-US resident to set up a google voice are;
1. A VPN which changes your I.P to a U.S I.P. E.g, hot-spot shield
2. A U.S Phone Number which will be used to verify your google voice account
After getting a VPN and a US number; you can get a free USA number from suitable for this from here or here after signing up there
FOLLOW THESE 14 EASY STEPS TO SET UP A GOOGLE VOICE ACCOUNT
1. Go to www.Google.com/voice and Sign into your Google account. Google products are now unified, so you can also use your gmail username and password to sign in into your google voice account.
2. Wait for the prompt on the Google.com/voice site that says “Set up your Google Voice Number.”
If the prompt does not appear, click on the link that says “Get a Google Voice Number” on the left hand side of the page.
3. Click on “I want a new number” button in the first set up prompt.
4. Enter a US Number. You can only enter a U.S number for this verification process.
5. Find the confirmation number on the next prompt screen. Click the “Call Me Now” button to verify it. Make sure your US number is available so that you can answer it.
6. Answer the phone. Type in the confirmation number when prompted.
7. Continue following the prompts to set up your personal voicemail message.
8. Enter your zip code or area code to find an available local number. Click “Next.”
If no phone numbers are available, enter any 4 or 5 digit number in the second box.
9. Choose your number from a list of numbers after search available numbers with zip code or by just entering 3 random letters or characters. Click on the circle next to the number and choose “Continue.”
10. Enter a PIN to access your phone number. Write it down so you won’t forget the PIN
11. Return to Google.com/Voice to see your account history.
12. Change the Settings by clicking on the gear icon on the top right part of the page.
13. Remove call screening and Save your changes.
Call screening makes the person who is calling enter their name. It also prompts them that they are calling a Google Voice number. So if you do not want callers to go through all this you can simply remove call screening in google voice settings.
Download the Google Voice application onto your smart phone if you are using an Android, Blackberry or iPhone. Using the app will allow you to call from your Google Voice number, send and receive text messages on your phone and view history easily on your phone.
#hope it helps?